[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Number Problem

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:01:38 -0400

I lost track of the original message in this thread, but I think I recall that the person said that the book was checked and the page with the number was not there. If I understand that correctly I am pretty sure that the book has to be submitted that way with a note in the comments section. I may have misunderstood though. If we are talking about a scanned book without a hard copy to reference there could be several things that went wrong. The first thing that comes to my mind is that perhaps those two pages were scanned in single page mode in which case both pages would be treated as just one page and be numbered as one page. There should be something that would indicate this, though, like a page header or another number in the middle of the page and I would think that it would be the even number page that would appear at the top of the page. If this is the case, though, it could be remedied by just inserting a page break in that spot in the middle of the page. Another possibility seems more likely though. Sometimes I can be scanning a book in two page mode and come to a blank page that is simply not recognized. Both the page with print and the blank page are interpreted as one page and if only one of those pages has a number at the top of it -- and it would be unusual for a blank page to contain just a page number -- that number will be at the top of the page. If this is the case then this calls for inserting a blank page. I think that I would check with the submitter though. If the submitter does not respond or does not have the book any longer the next step is to check something like Google books. I have never checked Google books for a problem like this, so I am not sure that it will help. Perhaps Amazon might. If all else fails I think I would go with the most likely happenstance and just insert the blank page.

On 7/18/2012 1:23 AM, Laura Shannon wrote:
Are you sure that a page simply was not scanned? I mean, if you read 115 and 117 they make sense? I only ask because I proofed a book where the page did not show up for some reason. If that is the case, then you can contact the scanner and they can send you the missing page.

Otherwise, I might ask Madeleine. A blank page in the middle of the book might not be the right way to go.

On Wed, Jul 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM, Lisa Gorden-Cushman <crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:crysania@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Thanks a lot.  If that is the consensus, I will do it.