[bksvol-discuss] Re: Page Number Discussion

  • From: "EVAN REESE" <mentat3@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 23:35:42 -0400

Hey, Jim, simple answers to simple questions, I hope.

1. You aren't required to put the page numbers at the top of the pages, or
to put them in at all for that matter. But they are very definitely
preferred. So if you're going to put them in, then you might as well put
them at the top, because that way you can use them to protect the chapter
titles at the beginning of each chapter from the goofy stripper. If most of
them are at the bottoms of the pages, then you can still put one at the top
of each page where a chapter or section begins to protect its title.

2. Your formatting looks good, except that if you're going to put the page
numbers at the tops of the pages, then you'd want something like this:
blank line
page break
blank line
page number
blank line
text

The blank lines around the page numbers are to ensure that the html files
don't run the page number into the first line of text, as they are inclined
to do if they are separated from the text by only one hard return.

3. Large fonts shouldn't mess up the page breaks, not the hard ones anyway.
I've scanned many books on K1000, OpenBook and OSCAR before that, which
included large fonts, especially on the title pages; and it didn't affect
where the page breaks occurred. I honestly have to admit that I am
bewildered by what I have read here about OmniPage and the trouble Chris
seems to have had with page breaks. When you scan a page, then scan another,
why doesn't it just put a page break between them? I keep wondering. And
then why doesn't it just keep doing that through the whole book like a
sensible OCR program should, I would think. I really don't understand why
this was such a problem. I have used the OmniPage engine in K1000, though
admittedly I prefer FineReader, and it seems to know where to put page
breaks okay.

Sorry for the digression. Anyway, you may get more pages than are actually
in the book if the pages are long and Word puts in its own so-called soft
page breaks. To ensure that hard page breaks are the only ones you
encounter, go into the page setup menu in Word and make sure that the page
length is set to Legal. This will prevent the insertion by Word of soft page
breaks into the text, which can mess up your page count.

Hope some of this is helpful.

Evan