[bksvol-discuss] PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT REJECT RIGHT AWAY!!!

  • From: Cindy R <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 14:55:57 -0700 (PDT)

I'VE POSTED THIS BEFORE AND I'LL BEG IT OF YOU ALL
AGAIN (and yes, I do know that using capitals means
I''m shouting). PLEASE DO NOT BE SO QUICK TO REJECT A
BOOK. PLEASE, PLEASE RELEASE IT AND LET ME DOWNLOAD IT
(if it's in rtf or txt or maybe doc.)

If I can get the book from one of 3 library systems,
then I can fix it. That way the submitter will get
credit for submitting the book and the book will be
added to, not dropped from, the collection. Who knows
if the book, if rejected, will ever be scanned again?
You have here a sighted person who can, if she can
obtain the book, fix it. Even if I find the subject
matter boring and/or don't care to read the book
carefully, I can make sure the pagination is correct
and run a spell check. If, as in Medieval Italy, there
are dates, or if in a cookbook there are quantities
that didn't scan (it seems fractions rarely do), I can
scan the page and fix those -- at least most.

I've fixed two books which had messed-up pagination.
It seemed as if the OCR, or the form it was saved in,
renumbered the pages, because both the original page
numbers and some others that were way different but
sequential were there. It was easy enough for me to
delete the ones that didn't match the book -- a little
time-consuming, because after I finished the book I
did a "find' and found that I'd missed deleting some
as I went along. BUT THAT'S WHAT I'M HERE FOR, FOLKS!
I feel that, because I'm retired and have the time,
and because you all are very good and enjoy scanning
and validating (I enjoy the latter, too) and most of
you work or go to school or have family (my kids are
grown and gone), perhaps I can help most by fixing
books, though I do also scan and validate. Perhaps,
too, in some cases being sighted can be an advantage
in fixing the pagination of books, since I can tell
what's a blank page or an illustration.

Speaking of which, when I scan and validate I do
indicate blank pages with their page numbers, in
brackets --as well as illustrations, which I sometimes
try to describe. I'm not saying that everyone should
do it, but I think, even in a novel, missing page
numbers might sometimes lead a person to think
something important is missing.

http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail