[bksvol-discuss] Re: PDF Files

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 13:41:17 -0500

Hi Scott and everyone!

A friend of mine has two books in electronic form from authors she knows who have given her permission to share their books with Bookshare. These files, I believe are in doc files, at present. What would the procedure be to share them, since they are not scans? She knows that the files that are submitted to Bookshare are rtf files, because she is a Bookshare member who is also a volunteer, but I don't think she has submitted any of the books she is scanning.

I suggested she write about the authors' books, so she may have done so by now. I had advised her not to just submit them after converting the doc files to rtf, since I didn't know the policy even when an author had given permission to share..

Debby

At 12:33 PM 8/14/2010, Scott Rains wrote
Hi Folks,

I am not sure if I understand the origin of this question, whether it comes from a Bookshare volunteer, or if the origin of the .pdf file has been determined but let me clarify our constraints as Bookshare volunteers.

The Chafee Amendment allows for those with print disabilities to produce and own digital copies of print materials. The reasoning is that the print format is not usable by someone with a print disability. Bookshare is an agent entity recognized as legitimately producing such materials as a service to individuals with print disabilities and thus we are subject to the same law. When we receive digital copies of books that are not scanned from a print version, such as ePub or .pdf, we do so legitimately only when we receive them from a carefully defined set of sources such as the original publisher.

All our volunteer-supplied material must originate from the print version. We do not accept files from volunteers that are not scans from print (Point #7 in the Bookshare.org Volunteer Agreement specifies the process available for certain limited exceptions.) If the person asking this question is intending to donate to Bookshare please inform them that their offer will not be accepted.

Because the question posted is an issue of such consequence because of the unanswered questions about the source of the .pdf file let me restate verbatim the fourth point in the Bookshare.org Volunteer Agreement signed by every Bookshare Volunteer:

4. There are consequences for copyright violations, including termination of my account.

I acknowledge that Bookshare.org inserts digital fingerprints (both obvious and hidden) in the Accessible Media I download, to track copyright violations. I agree to not remove those fingerprints. If a copyright violation occurs that is traced to me, Bookshare.org will discontinue my account. I acknowledge that violations of copyright law and the terms of this agreement may subject me and other people committing such violations to civil and criminal liability, and that Bookshare.org will cooperate with copyright holders on investigations of such violations. If I violate the terms of this agreement, Bookshare.org may unilaterally and immediately terminate this agreement by written or email notice to me.

The Bookshare Volunteer Agreement is downloadable here;

www.bookshare.org/assets/docs/Volunteer_Agreement_2008.doc

Scott Rains
Benetech Fellow, Bookshare Volunteer Department