[bksvol-discuss] Re: Outsourcers

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2012 19:26:27 -0400

I don't think it is a foregone conclusion that just because one series title has been done by an outsourcer that the rest of the series will be. However, that does bring up a good question. We used to have a list called the master list. It was an earlier version of the books being scanned list. It was one of Bookshare's wikis, so it was hard to navigate with a screen reader. It supposedly listed all books being worked on by both volunteers and outsourcers. The last time I saw it, it seemed to be neglected. That is, it was out of date. As far as I know, it might still be around, but if it is I no longer have a link to it. I may have lost that when my old computer went kaput. Is it still around? I never heard an announcement that it was being discontinued. Whether it is or not it would be good to have something like it. We have the books being scanned list so that we will not start working on a book that someone else is working on, but we don't have a way to know what the outsourcers are working on. I can imagine why it was not being kept up to date though. When the books being scanned list was started we were told that we should send an email to the same address that we send announcements that we are going to scan a book to announce that our book had entered the collection so that it could be removed because Bookshare did not have the resources to keep checking the newly added books against the books being scanned list. If that is the case then I would suppose that it would be hard to keep track of which books the outsourcers had done that had entered the collection too. I do know, though, that I once ordered a book with the intention of scanning it and on the day it arrived I did one more check of the collection to find out that it had been added only the day before from an outsourcer. That was before the master list, but if that master list had been in existence then I could have saved myself from ordering the book.

On 8/23/2012 2:53 PM, Gary Petraccaro wrote:
I was thinking about doing the Collegium sequence from Mercedes Lackey, but it seems an outsourcer has done the first volume. Can I assume that the others will also be done and where can I find out what's in the pipeline so I don't waste more of my time? I appologize if this question has been asked lots of times.
Thanks in advance.