[bksvol-discuss] Out of Control

  • From: socly@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 18:17:34 -0500

Well, Shelley, I had fun searching, but all I could find, in library online
catalogs, including the LC
catalog, and Amazon, and various sites from google, was that Out of Control, by
Baynard Kendrick, is
out of print and was published by in New York by Morrow in 1945 -- 216 pages
(and 4 of what I think
might be plates).  I could find no record of a paperback edition. Indeed, the
only book of his I could
find published in paperback was Flames of Times, published by Bantam Giant.

Did you get the book from Alibris? If you did, unfortunately, there aren't any
left. I say this because, in
the box next to the title, it tells whether the book is is hard- or soft-cover.

I certainly learned a lot about Kendrick from my research, though. I suppose,
since you have the book,
you're read the biographic info about him, but did you know he was one of the
founders of the Mystery
Writers of America? In that article, by the way, it says that paperbacks
weren't published much in the
40's and inexpensive editions of books were sent to and borrowed from rental
libraries -- which didn't
send money on to the authors. This was one of the topics under discussion at
one of the meetings.

Now I've forgotten exactly what your question was. If I haven't answered it
with the info above, please
ask me again, either here or directly.