[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot: Shakespeare quotes and meRE: Re: OT: Happy New Year

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2010 01:43:03 -0600

Hi Ann!

The bard sure could write. Thanks for quoting all of that. It takes me back to English lit class in high school in the early '70's.

Debby

At 03:51 PM 1/4/2010, Ann Parsons wrote
Hi there, Kim,

This ought to slake your thirst for Shakespeare. Here 'tis, straight from the bard's pen.

       [Thunder. Enter the three Witches]

First Witch     Thrice the brinded cat hath mew'd.

Second Witch    Thrice and once the hedge-pig whined.

Third Witch     Harpier cries 'Tis time, 'tis time.

First Witch     Round about the cauldron go;
       In the poison'd entrails throw.
       Toad, that under cold stone
       Days and nights has thirty-one
       Swelter'd venom sleeping got,
       Boil thou first i' the charmed pot.

ALL     Double, double toil and trouble;
       Fire burn, and cauldron bubble.

Second Witch    Fillet of a fenny snake,
       In the cauldron boil and bake;
       Eye of newt and toe of frog,
       Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
       Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
       Lizard's leg and owlet's wing,
       For a charm of powerful trouble,
       Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

ALL     Double, double toil and trouble;
       Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Third Witch     Scale of dragon, tooth of wolf,
       Witches' mummy, maw and gulf
       Of the ravin'd salt-sea shark,
       Root of hemlock digg'd i' the dark,
       Liver of blaspheming Jew,
       Gall of goat, and slips of yew
       Silver'd in the moon's eclipse,
       Nose of Turk and Tartar's lips,
       Finger of birth-strangled babe
       Ditch-deliver'd by a drab,
       Make the gruel thick and slab:
       Add thereto a tiger's chaudron,
       For the ingredients of our cauldron.

ALL     Double, double toil and trouble;
       Fire burn and cauldron bubble.

Second Witch    Cool it with a baboon's blood,
       Then the charm is firm and good.

Dunnow as writing lines from The Scotish Play is bad luck but I don't think so. Kinda nice to have all of shakespeare here on my computer so I can delve anytime I like. I prefer things like:

All the world's a stage and the men and women merely players,
They have their exits and their entrances,
And each man in his time plays many parts.

Happy reading, if you should want my collection of etexts or any of them, let me know. I'll sent you a list.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring