[bksvol-discuss] Re: Ot New computer advice and monitor for low vision

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2012 07:57:51 -0400

Hi all,

Lissie, you may not need a new computer. I'd first see if your computer store/person can replace the fan! That's an easy do. Then, there is some gunk you put in the computer to help to lessen the heat. My guru replaced the gunk for my XP computer, and now it's working well. I'm not a techie, so can't tell you what the thing's called, but it comes in a tube and goes near the heat sink. My guru told me that mine was all dried out and he actually had to peel it away from the computer before replacing it with new.

I'd replace the fan first thing! That, as I say is an easy do. The rest of your data can be backed up to an external drive or whatever. Then, if you have to get a new 'puter, you can do that and still have your data intact.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring