[bksvol-discuss] Re: O.t. All in ones

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 07:39:44 -0600

I have been  very impressed by the Lexmark X7350 I received for my office.
 It does print, copy, fax, scan.  It is ergonomically very well designed
and can  be largely serviced by myself, including accessing the paper
transport to fix any paper jams (which by the way have never occurred).
The scanner is fast  and is surprisingly compatible with Kurzweil.  OCR
quality seems to be comparable with what I obtain from my EPSON 660.  I
performed installation of the X7350 software with JAWS.  More
interestingly,  the FAX utility that ships with the scanner is delightful
to use with JAWS.  By the way, this is a color inkjet device.  Price is
well under $200.

I am so happy with this machine that I am seriously thinking of acquiring
its monochrome laser sibling -- the Lexmark X342 for home.

By the way,  no matter how good the scanner is in these multi-function
devices, it is worth pointing out that the scanning surface is rather high
above the desk surface, making the scan of entire books somewhat
inconvenient.

Guido

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  512. 838. 9735.
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

". . . Maybe it was only those who were most certain they were right who
were guaranteed to be wrong. And that maybe, just maybe, those who
questioned the most were in the end those who came closest to being wise."
[David Poyer, The Command]

Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
01/22/2008 10:52 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: O.t. All in ones

Siobhan, I'm responding to you on list in case others might be considering
buying these devices. Please don't buy one of these with the idea that you
can scan books with it. They can sometimes work for scanning mail, but the
scanner part of these devices is meant more for photocopy and faxing. It's
not usually a quality scanner, and it's slower than molasses in January.
In addition, Kurzweil does not work with some of these devices. I know it
wouldn't work with the Xerox or the HP models in my dad's office. I spent
hours trying to make them work. Unless there are some very new models that
have better scanners, and unless you can try one before buying it, I would
urge you to buy a separate scanner and printer. At the very least, please
ask the people who work at Kurzweil if there is a model they would
recommend.

Monica Willyard

Siobhan wrote:
Hi al.  I'm considering buying an all in one printer, scanner, and copier.
 If anyone has one, please email off list so I can pick your brain.
Thanks,
Siobhan