[bksvol-discuss] Re: One Big Dictionary Or a Bunch of Little Ones?

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 20 Aug 2006 00:37:50 -0400

Thanks much, both of you!  One thinks I'm antique, the other bureaucratic!
I see the beginning of a complex building!

Any way, Evan, the corrections file is a whole different ball game.  The
reason why the permanent correction option is not available to you in the
"rank spelling" dialog is because there is a chance to mess up things quite
dramatically.  The correction file is for the mistakes that the OCR program
makes in recognizing words/characters.  And the Spelling file is for those
words that you know to be English words(or compound words) that belong to
the language but K1K's dictionary does not find.  In the rank spelling
dialog you have the option of adding words into the personal dictionary but
not in the Correction file.  You have to realize that the corrections file
is used to correct OCR mistake everytime you complete a scan.  And, if you
add words/other combinations in that file, it will correct those
combinations each time K1K encounters them.  So, you will see some default
OCR mistakes that K1K knows are the result of OCR engine finickiness.
Because I'm a bit cautious, I prefer the option of adding to the correction
file be left out of the rank spelling dialog.  If there is a reason for me
to add a certain combination of words/characters in the Corrections file, I
prefer to do it out of that dialog.

Pratik