[bksvol-discuss] Re: Old Time Radio, What should I be...

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2004 22:32:01 -0700

At 11:22 PM 6/10/2004 -0400, you wrote:

Hey Tony and other OTR fans what books or authors should I be looking for if
I wanted to investigate OTR possibilities, smile.

Hi. Well, that's a good question. You could try Jim Cox for a start. The majority of all OTR books now seem to be published by Mcfarland and run about $35 each. Probably the best though would be _On The Air, An Encyclopedia of Old Time Radio_ by John Dunning. I have a printed copy which I could loan you as long as you do not destroy it in scanning, otherwise it would cost about $60. This is a very huge book though. Another great author is Martin Grams Jr. That might not be the correct spelling of his name but close. All his books are through either Mcfarland or Bear Manor Media. He of all the authors has been the best about working with me and making his books available. I think it would only take a little coasing to get him to donate digital copies of what he has, but he has several books which are only in printed form, so he no longer has the original files.

if just typed Old Time Radio in Alibris and got 129 books.  And Access
Pennsylvania is pulling quite a bit up.  Exactly what Library of Congress
subject would Old Time Radio fall under.

I don't know. Web-Braille does not have anything specific. They have some things about the actual development of the radio but not about the stars etc. NLS has the Dunning book on cassette. It is three containers and about 72 sides if I remember correctly. You could look up Dunning and get an idea from that. Thanks very much if you decide to pursue this. Feel free to write me off list if you have problems or questions.