[bksvol-discuss] Re: Old FR Discussion

  • From: Bud Schwab <budschwab@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 08:32:48 -0700

Hi
Tiff,

Thanks for the info. I think I have the column turned off most of the time while scanning a book. This problem I speak of seems to be a little different. The scanner announces the page seems to be blank and when I look, there is indeed a blank page but the opposite page has all that business about line one and line two etc. If I rescan again right away without changing a thing it will often read both pages properly. It's kind of baffling and I never have found the cause.
No, I didn't realize you could redo a page without rescanning the actual page. If it's not too much for my simple mind I would be interested in hearing the particulars.
Thanks.
Bud

At 05:52 AM 5/9/2006, you wrote:
Hi Bud,
I believe Donna was talking about a stand-alone version of Fine reader, where as I thought you used it from within Kurzweil. If in fact you are not using Kurzweil ignore this message, but if so, you can easily turn columns mode on and off.
I believe the original setting for columns mode is on, and while that is good to have on for textbooks, newspapers, and magazines, you don't need it on for our typical non-fiction or fiction book. In fact, for things like table of contents you specifically want it turned off.
For example, if columns mode were on when scanning a table of contents you would probably hear chapter one, chapter two, chapter three, chapter four, and so on, followed by 1, 17, 32, 50, and so on. It's not purposefully butchering it, but yet is reading down the first column followed by the second, which is of course what you do want it to do in magazines and other things formatted that way. In our case we would now have no way to know which page number correlated to which chapter number, so what you do is turn off columns mode before scanning, and then instead of reading down the columns it will now read across the row like chapter one, 1, chapter two, 17, chapter three, 32, chapter four, 50.
To turn it off or back on again push the six on the numeric keypad. Kurzweil will announce the status of the setting as you change it in either direction.
Finally, Did you know you could change the setting and rerecognize a page without actually having to find the printed page and rescanning it?
I won't bother to write the steps unless you want me to, but this is yet another great advantage of Kurzweil over OpenBook. Or, at least it was the last time I did a good strong comparison. That admittedly was a while ago, so things may have changed since then.
Tiff