[bksvol-discuss] Re: Off list problem

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 05:01:50 -0700

Tim,

There are tools on the market for PDF to Word conversion but volunteers must
work from print originals not digital files that they did not scan themselves
or were not supplied by Bookshare. The Chafee Amendment that we operate under
applies to print materials. Although a PDF or some other digital format that is
not DAISY is not fully accessible it can be argued that a publisher has
increased the book's accessibility at least to some degree by using that format
thus it does not qualify under the protections of Chafee. If a publisher or
someone who is not a registered Bookshare volunteer operating through the
submission process provides a digital version of a book it is not eligible for
addition to the collection.

Scott Rains