[bksvol-discuss] Re: Of screenreaders and other talking tech for validation

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2004 13:51:45 -0600

You ask a difficult question.  The best way to get an answer to it would be
to go to a conference or organization that can show you the different
options available and let you test them for yourself.  I think a lot of
people have the braille note because it was the first really nice braille
note taker to come out.  Now there are other good ones, and it is really
what you want to do with it that determines which is the best for you.

If you want it to function a lot like your computer the braille note is not
the best, but i think it is really easy to learn how to use, and also might
have the best arrangement for simply reading and dealing with braille.

The other popular note taker is freedom scientific's pack mate.  It has more
software I think, and acts a bit like JAWS and your computer, but of course
being braille oriented and being a pocket PC it is different.  I also saw
something really neat and cheeper than the braille note at the Closing the
Gap conference this October.  It is a new braille note taker made by a
company in Korea, and it seemed to have the most features for the price.  If
you would really like to know more about it I can probably dig out the
information and send it to you later today.

If you ever want to have a GPS system as well as a note taker the braille
note is currently the only one to offer that feature, for an extra price of
course. :-)

The Internet is the second best place to look for information.  Go to each
notetaker's web site and review the list of features and the product
discription.  Look to see if there are recent reviews of the products in the
access world or braille monitor magazines.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity/