[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT-Web Braille

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:24:31 -0400

#
Web Braille, as such, does not exist anymore. It was a site run by the NLS from which you could download Braille books. It has now been incorporated into BARD and so to find it now go to BARD.loc.gov. The Braille books do not appear as Braille on your computer screen. You will have to have a special device to read it on. I have never tried one, but as I understand it, it consists of a bar that sits below your keyboard and pins will stick up from the bar. The pins will conform to Braille symbols and can be read by touching them.
On 4/14/2013 3:16 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Blank
Hello Everyone:
I know that this is off-topic but I have been wondering, what is web Braille? I googled this but got back some weird results; at least it seemed weird to me or rather I didn't fully understand the results. Does anyone use web Braille or is this a figment of my imagination? I have heard about this "concept" but since I am not a really great or good Braille reader, it's not clear to me. I know the Braille alphabets and most of the contracted Braille "symbols" but reading it is my problem. I have never got the full and complete concept of it, however, I would like to learn Braille and while in my search as to how, someone (can't think of who) told me to try learning through web Braille. Now, for me, this means that the dots will come on the screen, as in Braille font, but that is where my mind draws a blank as how this would help me. I mean, I use a Braille font when I'm doing classroom charts, reading charts, schedule and the like for my early childhood education classes but how can this teach me how to read it? If someone can please explain web Braille to me I would greatly appreciate it. I am a totally screen reader-talk back to me-person but have been toiling with the idea of Braille for some time. Thanks,
Netta
"Until lions tell their tale, the story of the hunt will always glorify the hunter."-African Proverb