[bksvol-discuss] OT/College

  • From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 14:31:49 -0400

Hi, All.  I'm still off-list (sigh) but I really wanted
to pass this along.  E-mail me, if you like, at
mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  I am not getting any
message that starts with from "bksvol."

Marilyn

Kirk / Spock * 2008
Leadership for the Future

Begin forwarded message:

From: Marilyn Beasley <mbeasley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: August 11, 2008 2:14:48 PM EDT
To: "Mark R. Schub" <mr-schub@xxxxxxx>
Subject: College

Hi, Mark.

Do you remember I told you I'm validating this extra-great
book called "301 Smart Answers to Tough Interview Questions"?
Well, it is fantastic, truly inspiring in its advice.  But then I got
to Question #190.  Check this out, and let's discuss.  I always
thought this was true for High School, but College too?  Do you
agree with the author where she says under "Why This Technique
Works" that "It's common knowledge..."?

190. What, in your opinion, is the value of a college education?

A. I think that a college education fosters a lifelong love of learning, which is very beneficial in our field. To be good at our business, we really have to understand how other businesses work-- the products they manufacture, who their customers are, what their margins look like, and how to evaluate profitability. I have found that having a great deal of curiosity helps enormously. I'm anxious to learn every facet of the businesses in which we invest, and I really believe that this makes me a better analyst.

Why This Technique Works

1. It's common knowledge that most colleges don't teach any practical skills that readily translate into business skills. But you've argued that your education gave you something that's priceless: the ability to continue to learn.

2. Curiosity is a skill which is always in heavy demand and sometimes in remarkably short supply.

* * *

Marilyn

Kirk / Spock * 2008
Leadership for the Future