[bksvol-discuss] Re: O.T when can we get firefox?

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2005 12:45:48 -0700 (PDT)

I don't quite understand the rest of your subject
heading, the questions "When can we get firefox?  It's
available as a free download, I believe. My husband
has both firefox and safari on his Mac with the OS 10.
I find validating with Word on the OS 10 too annoying
--the up and down arrows are so slow and jerky--so I'm
sticking with my Mac with the OS 9

I subscribe (free) to Tourbus--a great source for
information about useful online sites and other web
information -- it's how I found out about google
several years ago. A recent Tourbus pointed out a
couple of problems with firefox.

Here's what it said:

"Oh my... I can see the rotten tomatoes flying my way
already.  But I have a confession to make.  I've tried
Firefox on numerous occasions but I'm sticking with
Internet Explorer, at least for now.

Why?  There are a bunch of reasons.  First off, I'm
just not convinced that Firefox is any guarantee of
better online safety.  Sure, there have been some
nasty bugs in Explorer, but if you run Windows Update
on autopilot, along with up-to-date anti-virus and
anti-spyware software, there are no serious exposures
that I'm aware of.

And Firefox has not proven to be immune to security
breaches.  If  you're not running the very latest
version, you could be at risk. As Firefox grows in
popularity, it will become a more interesting target
for hackers and crackers.

  RELATED NEWS:
http://www.hotnews360.com/computer-security-news.html

I also am annoyed that the fonts display differently
on Firefox, there
is no way to combine toolbars, and CSS elements just
don't render correctly in some cases.  I've also had
numerous problems installing plugins.  Firefox keeps
telling me to install Internet Explorer, the Windows
Media Player and other stuff I already have, just to
make some silly plugin work.  (And ummm, isn't the
whole idea of using Firefox
to GET AWAY from Explorer?)

By all means, give Firefox a try, if only to prove to
yourself that you can live without Microsoft owning
everything on your desktop.  I don't deny that Firefox
is an excellent browser, and it has some cool features
like tabbed browsing that you may love.  If it's any
consolation, I did switch from Outlook Express to
Thunderbird.  :-) "

I gather Thunderbird is firefox's email.  I use online
emails, as you can tell. (smile)

CIndy

http://www.friendlycanadian.com/applications/clipboard.htm