[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: waterbirth

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:14:10 -0600

Okay, I have pretty much decided that I am going to try water birth.  I just
talked to my insurance company as well as the hospital and have been assured
that the billing is no different.  Believe me, I was totally and pleasantly
shocked by that.  Usually when it comes to the medical "industry" they find a
way to charge you for every little difference they can imagine.  If this is
changing I am really happy, because it makes sense.
Now the only reason why I might not be able to use a birthing tub would be that
it is already in use at the time I go in to labor, or, even worse, there is
some complication.  I will report my opinion, but of course I can't compare to
any thing else, because this is my first.
The Waterbirth book sure presents a convincing case for it, because water
relaxes people, takes the pressure of gravity away from the mother, but allows
different positions so that gravity can work on helping the baby out, and also
reduces pain because skin stretches better in water.  For more information
people will have to read the book once I submit it. :-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity