[bksvol-discuss] O/T: scanner purchase options

  • From: "Sarah J. Blake" <sarah@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 10:26:49 -0400

I just sent my Reading Edge off for repairs, paid $400, and got it back...
It scans inconsistently. Once it will scan the whole page, then gibberish,
then half the page, etc. I can't afford to keep doing this repair thing and
am about to start grad school. I have a spare Reading Edge that was sent to
me and is in worse shape than mine was originally so is no help. So I need
to look at what my options are for getting another scanner and starting to
work on textbooks, which means potentially big books. I can deal with one
page at a time scanning--it's what I've done all this time. I want extremely
high quality scans as close to the binding as possible, preferably without
breaking the binding because I may be accessing this stuff from the
university library.

I don't have Kurzweil or OpenBook and won't be getting it due to lack of VR
support. Whatever I get needs to work with Fine Reader out of the box. Do I
have any good options? I've looked at reviews of the Plustech scanner but am
hesitant to buy without the ability to set brightness. This has been a
crucial element of my success with the Reading Edge. I don't want to be a
spoiled brat, but I'm taking a full load of graduate classes and this
scanner problem could not have come at a worse time.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Sarah J. Blake
Personal mail to:
sjblake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx