[bksvol-discuss] OT: reply to Lissi

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Nov 2005 01:07:21 -0800 (PST)

Dear Lissi,

You are a wonderful, forgiving, patient person. I
would not be as understanding of parents who were
ashamed of me if I had to use a cane or didn't want me
to take my dog with me. I would get angry, I'm afraid.
And if I were your teacher and learned of that, I
would take it upon myself to talk to them and make
them udnerstand how lucky they were to have some sight
and to understand what life was like for you.

I know what you mean about its being more difficult to
learn things at an older age. When I studied Spanish a
few years ago, it wasn't that I had so much difficulty
learning it, and I could read okay, but I had trouble
speaking it easily and understand it when spoken at a
rapid rate. A couple of years afterword, I would
forget the Spanish words for things and the French
that I'd learned in high school would come into my
mind instead.

re my learning braille--I meant if I get macular
degeneration and become blind in my old age--but
hopefully that won't happen. There are new methods of
treatment now if it's caught early enough, and I don't
have it in my family. But bearing in mind what you
say, I guess I'd go for audio books. Hopefully, it
won't come to that.