[bksvol-discuss] OT: rain and basements

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 18:58:43 -0700 (PDT)

I've been hearing on the news about the flooding in
the northeast. Where do you live, Elizabeth? I've
forgotten.

Is there any kind of wall or dam you can build around
your basement once things dry out?  For the future?
Maybe you need to surround it with sandbags.

I used to live in the East and had a below-ground
basement. We had at least one window that I remember
and, in a different house with a basement, the outside
door that one lifted up--I think in Mass. in those
days they were called storm cellars--not so they would
flood in storms (smile) but so one could go down there
to escape from tornados or hurricanes--not that we
ever had any of the former. Does your water come in
from windows or a door?

Another OT:  Speaking of cellar doors and rain
barrels, does anyone remember, or did you ever know,
the song Playmate? (come out and play with me?)

Cindy