[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: question about AT&T Natural voices and other voices - using them on Windows 7

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 19:32:15 -0500

Monica, this is great information. Thanks so much for sharing it, as I'd wondered about others experiences with the acapella voices. It also sounds like version 3 of textaloud will make working with it to read bookshare and brf books so much easier than it has been in the past!

Judy s.

Monica Willyard wrote:
Hi Judy. I use Text Aloud and have upgraded to version 3. It is my
understanding that it and the AT&T voices work well under Windows 7. I
can say for sure that the Acapela Heather and Laura voices work
beautifully under Windows 7 since I've seen them in action. I have
purchased Heather and really enjoy her voice for reading fiction. If
you would like a sample of her reading, I can make you one and post a
link so you can hear her. I'll use a public domain book so we won't
get in trouble with anyone. (smile)

For right now, owners of Text Aloud 2 are eligible to buy a $50 bundle
that upgrades you to Text Aloud 3 and includes *all* of the Acapela
American voices. Those voices are normally $35 per voice. Without the
voices, you can upgrade to Text Aloud 3 for just $19.95. You can find
Text Aloud 3 on the downloads page right under the links for Text
Aloud 2. Version 3 is still in beta status, and that's one reason
they're offering the special pricing on it. I'm having a blast with
it.

I don't usually get excited about new versions of things. Text Aloud
has been an exception for me because they have done four things that
really help disabled users. I'll tell you about them here, and if
you're not interested, you can delete this. :)

1. Text Aloud works natively with XML files now. No more converting to
another format and then recording.

2. Text Aloud can import brf Braille files such as those found on
WebBraille. You use their custom converter tool to do it. The help
file explain how.

3. Text Aloud 3 has a much faster way to record long books to mp3
files, about twice as fast as version 2. You load your book in the
file splitter, letting it save the split book as articles. You can
press shift F8, and it'll record each article as an mp3 file. I have
mind split at every 90K of text, making mp3 files that last around an
hour. The software knows enough to split the files at the nearest
sentence boundary for a nice, even split. I load up several books as
articles and let it go to town while I sleep. In the morning I have my
books in mp3 format, ready to transfer to my devices.

4. This version of Text Aloud gives you absolute control over
pronunciation, no matter which voice you use. You can do simple rules
for words, or you can make it pronounce syllables the same way in any
word in which they appear. I think it's pretty amazing.

Uh oh! My oven timer is going off. If I can help you with trying the
new voices, please ask.

Monica Willyard

On 08/08/2010, Judy s. <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Has anyone successfully installed an AT&T Natural Voice, using a
version they got for an XP and/or Vista system, on a Windows 7
system?  I'm not sure I want to just toss it in and hope it
works, but if I can do that without having to rebuy a new version
for Windows 7, it would be great. We just got a new Windows 7
laptop and I'm hoping to move my TextAloud with the AT&T voice
over to it, because its processor is so much faster.

Also, if I have to buy over, any thoughts on the quality of the
other voices available that work with TextAloud?  Are they as
good as or better than the AT&T Natural voices?  The options I
have are RealSpeak voices, Acapela voices, and the Cepstral voices.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Judy s.