[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: people's reactions and stpid questions

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 22:44:44 -0500

My school would have tested out the dog in various situations with various kinds of people and would reject any dog displaying such symptoms. A blind person has enough to do whtout handling that. No reputable school these days lets such a dog out after training. No reputable school in the past did either. I know this casts your school whoever it is in a bad light but I have worked with dogs for thirty years and it is simply not fair to the blind person or general public to work with such animals in social situations (which means in a world with people grin!).

E.

At 07:16 PM 12/4/2006, you wrote:
I agree.  The first dog I received was a German shepherd who, for some
reason I never learned, didn't like Asian people.  I remember warning a
friend who was Chinese not to pet her.  He didn't listen, and she bit him.
Not badly, but to bite him at all was bad.  She was very protective of me in
general, and I feared that other such incidents would occur.  She did retire
early, but due to hip dysplasia.  I kept her because she was an excellent
guide, and we worked well together, but in the back of my mind I felt
guilty, because I knew she might bite again.  I've had two dogs since then,
and neither has demonstrated such tendencies.

I'm thinking about getting another dog, but that opens a whole new can of
worms.  I haven't decided how people will react to the dog.  I've done my
current job for the past five years as a cane user, and I'm not sure how
people's opinions will change if I get a dog.