[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: our genetic ancestry

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 21:31:46 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Nancy,

  Check out Sykes's website www.oxfordancestors.com.  The test is very easy.
They send you a cyto-brush in a sealed plastic bag, you open the bag, swipe the
brush against the inside of your check a few times (I did it until it hurt a
bit, figuring that I had removed a bunch of cells then), put the brush back
into the bag, and send it back to them.  It's a bit pricey though. When I did
it a few years ago, it was $250.  I don't know how much it is now.

  On the Oxford ancestors website, there's a bulletin board where you can chat
with other people who are descended from the same person you are (or the other
ones if you want).  I am only 1 mutation away from a guy who lives in Northern
Ireland, which means we have a common ancestor maybe 2000 years ago.  When I
went to Europe 2 years ago, he flew to Paris and met me there.  It was pretty
strange meeting such a distant cousin!  But fun!

  Please let me know who your ancestor is, if you decide to do this.  Good luck!

  Carrie

NANCY HILL <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
          Carrie,

  How do you go about finding out how to obtain and send in a bit of dna; and
how much does it cost?

  I have been having trouble downloading from Jakes's site, but did manage to
download the book of which you speak.

  I read recently that all of the pre/homo sapiens migrated from somewhere in
Africa.  I would be interested in knowing the whys and wherefores of the
differences in homo sapiens such as skin pigment, eye shapes, hair color, etc.
Very interesting.

  Nancy Hill

  girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxx