[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: ostensible police solicitations for money

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 04:36:56 -0400

I would never give out a credit card over the phone like that. My concern is somebody somehow got ahead of a phone number I simply do not put down on forms, list in the phone book or use as my contact number. I plan to know the source from which it was tracked. It is the tracking in my case not the scamming of my credit card that concerns me.

E.
At 04:20 AM 9/27/2006, you wrote:

Some people in the area have received calls and
letters soliciting donations for the New York State
Police Benevolent Association, but state police at
Oneonta are cautioning that the donations wonâ??t go
where people think.

Troopers said they have heard of at least three people
in the past week receiving calls or letters from this
scam.

Kim Harloff, an area woman who received such a call,
said she knew it was different from a normal
solicitation call because the person taking
information quickly asked for her credit- card number.

"Iâ??m wondering how many people fell into it,"
Harloff said Tuesday. "Rule No. 1: Never give your
credit card to someone over the phone."

Harloff said she asked the man to send her information
in the mail, but sheâ??s yet to receive the
information.

Troopers said the only organization that does fundraising for them is the New York State Trooper Foundation.

That group wonâ??t solicit individuals and only
solicits businesses, troopers said.

The attorney generalâ??s office has been looking into
the New York State Police Benevolent Association
calls, troopers said, and although they are scams,
they technically are legal.

Troopers said they are scams because they trick people
into believing theyâ??re supporting a certain cause.
http://www.thedailystar.com/news/stories/2006/03/29/scam8.html

Cindy
-