[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: how to detect boiling water

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 23:57:59 -0600

Hi Soronel!

I have never had any sight, so have not had to adjust to losing it.

I have made caramels on the stove top, and you could hear that mixture bubble easily. What you can do is put a drop of the mixture in ice water. If the ball is firm enough to hold it's shape, it's ready to pour into the pan.

Yes, it's very hot, so don't drop it on your skin. You can get a nasty burn from hot sugar.

Debby

At 11:36 AM 1/1/2010, Soronel Haetir wrote
Water is easy but there are other fluids in cooking that can be even
worse, candy mixes as just one example.  Not only do they reach higher
temperatures they stick to the skin.

I haven't figured out how to do it safely since going blind. :(  Was
barely safe for me even when I could see.

On 1/1/10, Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Jamey,
>
> Your question is a good one.  Depends on what you're boiling.  If it's
> a teakettle, then the thing should whistle.  If it's a pot, like a
> pasta pot, you wait till you hear the change in the bubbling, and then
> you put your hand above the pot about six inches so you can feel the
> steam and not get burned.   Does that help?
>
> Happy New Year,
> Ann P.
>
> --
> Ann K. Parsons