[bksvol-discuss] OT: help with text to speech software

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 22:31:42 -0600

I'm looking for inexpensive text to speech reading software, under $100. I don't need much, as I'm sighted. I'm looking for something that will read my books to me (I don't need it for browsing, screen reading or anything else) to help me with validating. It gets very tiring using Dragon to page through the books files by voice in Word.

I'd really appreciate input from this group, as I don't know much about what's available or what's good among what's available . The top contender right now from the software reviews I've seen right now is Naturalsoft's Naturalreader Professional. Is it any good? Are there better ones in that price range (again, under $100)?

Also, are there any reasons to prefer either neospeech voices or the AT&T natural voices in terms of the way they work, or is is just based on what my ear finds easier to listen to?

All input appreciated!

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx