[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT for Some - Image Description Advanced Topics

  • From: Scott Rains <scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:55:00 -0700

Hi Nadia,

I'll do this on-list for anyone else who has been away recently.

Bookshare's DIAGRAM Center is responsible for advancing the accessible
presentation of graphical information in digital books. About 6 weeks ago their
experimental tool for inserting image descriptions into Bookshare books was
released for limited testing. Over time the number of volunteer testers and
types of books being tested has expanded. Today's note has links to some vey
detailed image description guidance meant especially for those working on
science and math books.

Previous notes included the attached job help on image description and the URL
to online tool itself:

 https://diagram.herokuapp.com/daisy_book/upload

Scott Rains
Bookshare Volunteer Program

From: Nadia Cioffi <cioffi.nadia@xxxxxxxxx<mailto:cioffi.nadia@xxxxxxxxx>>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2011 11:15:52 -0700
To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>"
<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: OT for Some - Image Description Advanced Topics

someone please fill lme I have been gone at MCTC all summer their for not being
up with the news. I was able to fill in athe reast of the blinks, but if
someone could fill this one in for me that would be great

On Mon, Aug 29, 2011 at 2:03 PM, Scott Rains
<scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:scottr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:
Volunteers,

Several of you have taken to the new Bookshare image description tool like fish
in water. Thank you. And thank you for your patience as we continue to work out
the kinks of delivering larger books and customizing training materials in an
environment where improvements are added to the tool every three weeks.

We have been offering the following advice as a general approach to approaching
an image:

The first step is to identify the learning objective behind the graphic you are
working on. We had a fascinating illustration of the relevance of this on
Wednesday when a volunteer presented the dilemma of exactly the same photo
being used two times in the same chapter to make different points:

After getting an initial visual grasp of the graphic find the caption or label.
(It may be in the body text.)

Determine if the caption will be read by AT before or after your image
description is read.

If before you may skip this step. If after consider inserting the caption, or a
paraphrase of it, at the start of your description.

Determine how much of the graphic is already described in the text and need not
be repeated.

Remind yourself of the specific topic of the text at the point where the
graphic appears and scan ahead to the next point in the argument. (Section
headings can give helpful hints for this step)

Identify the purpose of the graphic in the context of the argument being made.

Isolate, for description, any data that is essential to the argument and that
is available to the reader only through the graphic.

Note regarding visual representations of process flows or cycles: Review your
description to be certain that what flows logically in a visual context also
does so in its purely verbal rendition. Maintain awareness of the memory burden
created by the linear presentation of data in a text format where the visual
clues of context, accessible with a scan of the eyes, may not be available to
refresh the reader's memory.

Edit your description for brevity while retaining clarity.

The training materials listed below are helpful when tackling some of the
toughest books such as science and math textbooks:

Archived NCAM image description training:
http://ncam.wgbh.org/experience_learn/educational_media/stemdx/training_events

Archived P2PU Alt Text & Universal Design:
http://archive.p2pu.org/webcraft/alt-text-universal-design

Recommended for Non-braille readers, especially sighted people, on rendering
math equations:

http://www.dotlessbraille.org/NemethIntro.htm

--
Nadia Cioffi