[bksvol-discuss] OT: dictionaries

  • From: Cindy <cindyr@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 16:25:31 -0800

I love my old one because it has biographical and geogrpahical data in separate
sections. Another older one I have has the colleges (the bio stuff is in the
alphabetical part)--and one of them has all kinds of abbreviations and
measurements.

I actually find using my old dictionaries and old encyclopedia set more
convenient to use at times because they are in the living room right next to
the dining room, and therefore handier when we're doing crossword puzzles or
watching something on tv that we want to know more about. I don't have to go
into the other room and turn on the computer--though with the crossword
puzzles, when they ask about "celebrities" and pop music people we don't know
about, we do go to the computer, if we can't figure it out by cross clues

I'm sure most of you have heard about my using the computer to check on the
spelling of names when I did my first validation. I was about two-thirds of the
way  through the book when it occurred to me that I could get the book from the
library instead of being online to check.

Cindy