[bksvol-discuss] OT a wonderful article by Anne Perry

  • From: "Dan Beaver" <dbeaver888@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 08:25:57 -0500

Hi all,

I know this is definitely not part of volunteer efforts on Bookshare's behalf but since many on here enjoy Anne Perry's books...

I found this article extremely inspiring and hope it is as strengthening to all of you as well.

Who Will Lead the Way?
By Anne Perry

One phrase has been very much on my mind lately - 'To whom much is
given, much is required'. We must all be painfully aware that the world
is in a sad and frightening state as we enter this new year. From one
hemisphere to the other, people are losing their jobs, sometimes their
homes, most certainly the sense of security that most of us had taken
for granted. I know many who still have both of those things, but their
savings are gone, which means they may have to work far longer than they
had expected to. Their retirement, for which they had made provision, is
now not even a possibility. Continuing to work is hard, but it is an
answer - but will there be jobs for them? Will they have the health to
work as long as they will now need to?

What about health, especially for those who live where there is no
health service to care for them, if they cannot pay?

Faith is even more necessary, if we are to survive, not only materially
but spiritually?

I feel frighteningly grateful to live in a land of peace (I do lock my
doors at night, but there is probably no need), a land of plenty, (there
is always food in the shops, as well as in my store cupboard), a land
where I may express my beliefs and opinions, (not necessarily be agreed
with, but not persecuted), and in a climate pretty well free from
natural disasters. Rain is necessary, frost is healthy, we have no
earthquakes worth mentioning, no tidal waves, droughts, forest fires,
tornadoes etc. We have no real fear of war or invasion. I'm not always
very keen on everything my government does, but considering the
possibilities, it's not bad.

With all this opportunity to do so much of whatever I please, what am I
doing?

In Church a week or two ago we were talking of missionary work. One
thing that emerged clearly was that from all that we say, what we do
speaks the most loudly. What we preach is ineffective if we are not
reliable, do not keep our promises, are not honest in all our dealings.
Even simply smiling and passing a kind word, not a critical one, helps.
We should not be gossiping, back-biting, complaining, always thinking or
talking about ourselves.

How many sentences start off - "I think - I want - I like - I need," and
so on. Do we begin a conversation with 'How are you?' and then really
listen to the answer as if it matters to us? Indeed, does it matter, or
are we only waiting for our turn to speak?

We say 'please' when we want something. Do we stay around to say 'thank
you' if we receive it?

I heard someone the other day say that they did not pray to God to ask
for things. They believed it unnecessary, because God already knows all
that we want or need. That is perfectly true, but it misses the point.
We should talk to Him because He is our Father. And if we do not ask
Him, how do we know, when we receive whatever it is, whom we should
thank?

To whom should we pour out our hearts in gratitude? Whom should we ask
how to treasure the gift so we may treasure and keep it? It is not
merely a question of having needs met - how cold that would be, almost
like a kind of purchase. The joy is absent, the knowledge of the Father
who gives from love, the coming to Him with gratitude not just once, but
often, even the belief in miracles. It should be a relationship - not a
shopping list. There is nothing wrong with asking - and LISTENING to the
ANSWER!

And so often we go to God to request counsel, understanding, or even
just comfort. For those things one needs to ask, and then wait for the
answer. It is supposed to be a conversation. Does anyone imagine that
what we have to say to God could be more important, more valuable than
what He has to say to us?

Maturing in our Faith

Which brings me to a different subject - growing up, becoming adult in
our faith. To begin with we may do the right thing because we desire the
reward for virtue. We want to reach a high degree of glory and have the
happiness which is possible only with everlasting love and life.

Or we may, in darker times, do the right thing, because we are afraid of
losing that happiness if we don't. Horrible fear! And very real.

Later we progress, we hope, wishing to do the right thing because we
love our Father in Heaven and want to please Him.

But surely as we approach the later stages of our probation here we
should be doing the right thing just because it is right! We understand
it and see the blazing, glorious beauty of love, compassion, honesty,
gentleness, courage, faith - and so on. No one needs to tell us, or show
us. We are not seeking the reward, nor are we afraid of the punishment.
We are not obeying a commandment or seeking to have God's commendation -
honest, brave, gentle and kind is what we want to be - because of its
own beauty!

If we would be like God, then surely this must be? Does anyone command
Him? Does He seek reward or fear punishment? I cannot believe that He
does. This is His nature, He does it because He would not and could not
do less.

Surely this is what we should be aiming for? We see the glory, the
beauty of what is good, and hunger for it with all our souls. It is not
what we do, from the outside, for a reason - it is what we are, from the
soul inside, and nothing external could change it. We will have seen a
great light, the Light of the World, and it consumes the darkness.

That may be a long journey, but in the later part of our lives, we
should at least have seen that light, and with such a beauty that we can
follow it whether anyone else around us is doing so, or not.

Perhaps if this year is in any way as uncertain as it seems, and most
definitely when the final testing times do come, whether within our
lifetime or not, then we will not be able to borrow anyone else's light.
Is that not what the parable of the wise and foolish virgins is about?
We must have our own oil.

What infinite blessings we have in the great truths of who we are, where
we came from and where it is possible for us to go. I use the word
'infinite' on purpose, not lightly. It really is without end, without
boundary.

We do not know the measure of faith until it is tested, and that test
does not always come from the direction we expect, in fact very often it
takes us by surprise. The problem may be standing blocking the way in
front, or it may creep up behind, or swerve in from the left or the
right. I am not seeking tests with any pleasure at all, but I do know
that without them my life cannot serve its purpose. I try to trust that
they will never be beyond my ability to bear, and that unless they are
brought about by my own stupidity (and sometimes even then) they will
serve a purpose which could not be met in any other, or easier way.

Having said all of that, right at this moment I feel optimistic. I feel
like thanking God for all that I have, asking His help to use it not
just wisely, but specifically as He would wish me to. I have been given
very much - by heaven, I had better do something with it!

I have health, I have comfort, I have good family, good friends, freedom
from restriction or persecution, and so far as I know, I have time. I
have eyes to see the glory of the winter world, and right here in the
Highlands it is breathtaking. We have had weeks of weather that at times
is chilly but glorious, lots of sun, occasional frost, blue sea, blue
sky. Ridiculously I still have roses out in the garden, primroses,
winter jasmine and a few pansies. The sunrises and sunsets have been
spectacular. The colours in the sky make me feel as if only I could
stretch just a little further, I could reach out and touch heaven
itself.

We had a few days of freezing fog - every tree, every twig, every blade
of grass was etched in white. And when it began to melt and the sun came
out, it was like walking through all the diamonds in the world, so
beautiful I could hardly breathe from the glory of it.

I have ears to hear the music (listened to some wonderful stuff - from
the glory of Opera to the familiar joy of birdsong, and the voices of
friends). I can smell the earth and the sea. I can taste fresh fruit,
fresh bread - and too many Christmas treats. I can feel the wind on my
face, and the grip of a friend's hand.

Of course I also feel grief, loneliness and at times am very aware of
failure, and of fear and guilt, but that is a necessary part also. If
the darkness were not so dark, then the light would not be so glorious.

We have seen at least a glimpse of what is beautiful, perhaps more than
that. We should be leading the way. If we don't, then who will?

The answer has to be that we will.

Happy 2009