[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Yes, a book

  • From: barbarab65@xxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:29:04 EST

Someone asked me a question about whether I have a visible physical
disability. I do. I walk with canes and use a scooter for long distances. But,
I  do
not think that is why people ignore me. When they find out that I stutter,
some people stop wanting to talk to me. Fortunately, it is not everyone. I
often
act aloof because I do not want people to know that I stutter. This adds to
the  distancing. But, I am working on this. Stuttering is a different
experience from  having other disabilities and this I know from experience. In
the
past, many  people with other kinds of disabilities have basically written me
off
because of  my stuttering, telling me that I cannot do this and this but guess
what, I am  doing it anyway. My vision problem is hidden but it is still
there. Because I  fit into many disability categories, people who have
disabilities often do not  accept me because my disabilities are not clear cut.
However,
not everyone is  like this. There are some people who have disabilities who
are understanding and  think about me positively but there are some people
without disabilities who do  the same. I am curious. How do other people with
different types of disabilities  from yours, respond to you?

Barbara