[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT?: Wyeth's painting of Christina Olson, Christina's World

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:48:40 -0500

Cindy, can you send the links to the info about Christina Olson? Btw, have you ever read the book Skallagrigg? It's the most profound thing I've ever read, and concerns many disabled characters, mostly with very severe cerebral palsy. I had a friend with severe CP, and knowing her taught me a great deal. Skallagrigg will give you emotional whiplash, but it portrays the disabled characters honestly and without pity or scorn. There are some fairly graphic things in it, which I would usually avoid, but the book overall is amazing. I'll never forget it, and it's something I may actually reread, which is rare for me. Kellie