[bksvol-discuss] OT: Why Does Reloading Pages Take So Long?

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:38:56 -0700

I was just wondering:  When I first load the Step One page, or do an author
search by clicking on one of the letters and browsing through the names, it
takes a good while to load the first time.  But when I look at a book on the
Step One page to decide whether I want to take it or not, then alt-left arrow
back to the Step One page, or look at an author and alt-left arrow back to the
list of authors under a specific letter, it seems to take just as long as it
did originally.  I haven't timed it exactly, but it's close if not exactly as
long.  I have checked my temporary internet files disk allocation and it is at
3% - which is 1.2 gigs out of a 40 gig drive. Shouldn't these pages load faster
the second time I try to go to them?  Isn't that what these temporary folders
are for, to enable faster loading of pages already visited?  I would think it
would pop back up right away, being on my hard drive.  Isn't that how it works?

Thanks for any enlightenment.