[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: What's This Address?

  • From: "Pratik patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 15:48:05 -0400

Hello,

Technically when you send a message to BKSVOL-DISCUSS, you are not sending a
message to the person who is responding to the message but to the whole
list.  I think you already understand that.  But, what happens is that when
you send a message, the mailing list takes the message (or anyone's message)
and distributes it to the  entire list of subscribers.  Your e-mail program
is often intelligent enough to parse the "on behalf of" part from the "from"
address and present it as if the message came from the person who sent it.
In actuality the message is coming from bksvol-discuss list.  And the
mailing address for that list happens to be
bksvol-discuss-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx  The term bounce is often used by
mailing lists to denote distribution.  A bit of programmer humor!

Hope this helps.

Pratik