[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Tax Deductions for Equipment (was bolunteers)

  • From: "Robert Jaquiss" <rjaquiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 22:00:23 -0600


It is my understanding that "aids for the blind" can be deducted when filing incom taxes. This would include canes, watches, braillers, special software like JAWS, Windo-Eyes, Openbook, or K1000. A computer, and scanner are not usually deductible. It is possible to have a small business, and scan stuff for people. In which case, the equipment, and software could be deducted. Some years ago, I did a 3,000 page scanning job charging $0.75 per page. In most areas, its pretty easy to set up a sole proprietorship. You can check with your local Chamber of Commerce, or City hall for the local rules. *** PLEASE NOTE: The above is my understanding. Besure to check with an account, or attorney. ***


Robert Jaquiss, Secretary National Association of Blind Entrepreneurs

Other related posts: