[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Stephen King

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 13:15:28 -0400

Dear Lissi and Cindy,

Steven King when he is good  is brilliiant as he is in Carrie and The Stand and
even Dead Zone it was after Christine and one or two others that I quit. Not
even teenages use the f word that much and that inappropriately.  I was less
offended that I was bored and found it less than good writing.  And after a
while I was less than tempted by the descriptions.  I saw the film of The Green
Mile and wanted to read it much as I want to read Malamud's original for The
Natural. I have never been disappointed by a book when I have seen the movie
first.  I cannot say the reverse is true. For those who have seen Intruder in
the Dust, the book will not disappoint nor will the movie for the readers.
That is not true of most of the films allegedly based on Faulkner novels.  To
get back to Steven King, I must confess to cowardace as I have never seen
Misery  and the ads & previews of the movie have kept me from reading the book.

As for spoken word recordings.  I discovered those in grammar school as they
helped me get rid of a stammer and lisp I had - those and a father who worked
with me and had a memory full of poetry he could and did recite.  I never would
have passed my doctoral exams had it not been for the recordings of
Shakespeare's histories.  Caedmon's spoken word collections of Poets reading
their own poetry is still available on tape and I hope will be on cd.  Also
available are such recordings as two of Faulkner reading Faulkner. They can
also be found both at Caedmon. com and Recorded Books.com though you might have
to double check those.

Thanks, Cindy, for the description and recommendation of King reading King or I
might never have even tried to find them.  Many authors should never read their
own works or, like Faulkner, should be forewarned about the speed and accent
with which he reads.  Vachel Lindsay should be read by someone with a deep,
rolling voice, preverably a bass or baritone.  I say that based on his own
instructions for readers that are in the margins of many of his poems.
Unfortunately, he has a high tenor  Tennessee twang that is like the scratching
of a badly played violin. Edison recorded Tennyson but only a few bits and
pieces remain and they do not match any of the descriptions of his reading. If
you get a chance to listen to the recordings Dylan Thomas made they are not to
be missed.  Only Richard Burton matches Dylan's own readings. Many of those are
now available on disc including Dylan's reading of A Child's Christmas in Wales
  which include some of his poems as well.

 The plays are not as easy to follow which may be why so many people don't
listen.  You have to either know the play or have a script handy because you
are listening to performances and the speakers are not identified not are any
of the stage directions of playdivisions.  For those who are sighted you need a
script with large enough print to meet your needs.  For those without sight a
Braille script is almost essential unless you know the play well enough to
follow just with the actors' voices.  They are worth the effort as
Shakespeare's plays were never intended to be read or studied. The best way to
learn or "study" Shakespeare is with the BBC/Masterpiece Theatre productions of
the Complete Shakespeare Plays. I could be wrong but I doubt if you need sight
to appreciate them as Shakespeare's words give us the scenes which could not be
created on the Globe (or any period) Theatre during daylight and there were no
nighttime productions. Essential the recordings are the same as both they and
the BBC productions are complete amd unabridged.

Forgive me. I do tend to run on with my enthusiasms and I have loved these
recordings for a long time.  It is seldom I meet anyone else who has listened
or would want to listen to them. And I do not exaggerate when I say that
without them I doubt if I could have passed my Shakespeare exam. Actually,
without Spoken Word recording I probably would have done very badly even in
high school and I am sighted.  I just did not like the way literature was
ruined in school. How can you learn to appreciate Steinbeck when one of his
short novels is studied one chapter per week. And what was done to poetry is
often a crime.

Okay, I'll shut up.

Amy
omst