[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Statue of Liberty

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:41:23 -0500

Or how animals move.  I have models of horses in different "gaits" because
there is obviously no way to feel a horse trotting, or galloping, or the
like.  Speaking of Models and bringing up the Big Picture.  Has anyone read
The Three Blind Men and the Elephant?

When I was teaching about the Chesapeake Bay I found a really neat model of
a jelly fish at AC More, the art store.  My kids loved it, and it was a safe
way for them, and me to experience a jelly fish for the first time, smile.
I also brought in a statue of a crab, a lobster, a seal, a dolphin, a
pelican and other animals that would be around the Bay.  We also talked
about other books and I tried to have some kind of tactile experience to go
with the books.

AC Moore, has a wide variety of animal statues, they are in the kids section
and some of them, are truly detailed.  The Bald Eagle, you can feel each and
every feather.  And the buffalo, you can feel the shagginess of the head and
the less rough but still stiff hairs of the hind end, with the statue.
Truly awesome detail.

St. Lucy's Day School started a "tactile library" for their students.  I
wish other school districts or itinerate teachers had similar kinds of
resources.

Smile, you can tell my room is filled with nick nacks.  I have like three
shelves of animal statues.  smile.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.
Graduate Advisory Council