[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Social Security

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:23:33 -0700 (PDT)

What about requesting a waiver? I don't need the
money, fortunately, but in the letter I received it
said that "...A request for a waiver will be approved
if both the following are true:

1. The overpayment was not your fault in any way, and
2. You could not meet your necessry living expenses if
we recovered the overpayment, or recovery would be
unfair for some other reason."

It goes on to say that "if you request a waiver within
30 days from the receipt of this notice, we will not
start to withhold any part of your benefits. If you
request waiver after thirty days we wil stop any
withholding while we cnsider your waiver request.."

In my case, I'm sure lack of my knowledge would not
constitute the overpayment not being my fault, but
your case is probably different.

I'm glad you appeal is in. It may not make a
difference in the long run, but aren't they still
paying you while considering your appeal? And then
you'll get a letter as I did and that is more specific
as to why you owe and then maybe you can request a
waiver.

Good luck.

Cindy R