[bksvol-discuss] OT - Sighted Guide Incidents

  • From: "Gerald Hovas" <geraldhovas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 14:23:00 -0600

Sarah and Dave,

I know the feeling.  My wife used to run me into things, too.  She ran me
into a street sign once in D.C. while trying to catch up with her mother and
aunts.  I ruined an expensive pair of Vuarnet sunglasses that time.  She
also ran me into a four-by-four which happen to be leaning across a sidewalk
at an angle propping up a cover for a covered sidewalk which was under
construction.  She was busy talking to her mother and walked right under it.
I wasn't so lucky.

Now I have a guide dog named Paseo.

I can't blame a woman for the time I walked off into a pool, though.  I'm
not even sure I can blame poor eyesight on that one since it might have even
happened before I became legally blind.

Just for the record, I had just come out of a long dark hallway at a hotel
and was on my way to the other side of the pool.  The pool happens to be one
of those with a very irregular shape.  The glare off the very white concrete
was giving me trouble, and my eyes were having trouble adjusting quickly
enough from the dark hallway.  I had thought that I was rounding the end of
the pool when I was actually only clearing one of the cog-like protrusions
from the pool.  The next thing I knew I was chest deep in water.  Well, I
was headed to the other side, and since I was already in, I took the
shortcut.

I don't think a single mother sitting around the pool even noticed.

The only bad thing to result from the incident was that I happened to be the
right age to wear the same size shoe as my mother.  I happened to be wearing
a pair of her tennis shoes that weren't washable.  She was so tickled about
the incident that she didn't even say anything about me ruining her shoes.

Gerald