[bksvol-discuss] OT: Screaming to people who understand

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 21:04:53 -0500

Long story short, school district is providing Mac laptops to all students in
grades 6-12.  They were not, of course (insert ironic sigh here), offering them
to the SpEd kids.  Immediate contact (one month ago) with SpEd director said
she would look into it, with my making the stipulation they needed to find a
way for her to access her student Bookshare account.  Two weeks later she
pushed it off on Nichole's homebound teacher.  I know we will have a problem
since the FAQ site information stipulates no downloads or software installs,
but no one is researching it.  Today the teacher says not only will we have to
pay the $50 lease fee, but no installs will be allowed and no downloads.  That
means no access to Bookshare or their reading software for Mac.

I have not fought them in a long time, but this one is a battle I will not
concede.  The kids can visit Facebook but not be used for reading?  They appear
to think VoiceOver will be adequate, but Nichole cannot turn pages
independently.  Nichole is ready for a fight on this one; she fully endorses my
full blown ire over this blatant injustice.  She says if reading independently
for school is not a priority, what is?

Any help and assistance will be GREATLY appreciated!

Valerie