[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT Reading Google Books

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:22:13 -0400

#
I think the out of copyright ones might be readable. It has been a long time since I tried, but I think I remember getting something from there to read for me. And this reminds me of something. A long time ago I mentioned on this list that as I understand the copyright exception it should be legal for Google Books to turn over its entire collection to Bookshare. That would mean that the Bookshare collection could increase by several millions in a very short time and I wondered if there were any prospects for that and if not then why. Pavi, who was our mediator with Bookshare at the time, said that Bookshare was actually in talks with Google to do just that. Obviously it still has not been done. Whatever happened to that anyway?
On 4/24/2013 10:53 AM, Lori Castner wrote:
I know this is somewhat offtopic for this list, but I can never get my
messages to post properly to the other Bookshare list.
I have a friend who wants to know whether the books on Google books are
only images or is there some way to read them with speech.  I suspect that
they are
only images but wonder if any of them have been readable with a screen
reading program.
Thanks.
Lori C.