[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Re: Brail Displays

  • From: Mary Anne Lynskey <yeksnyl1953am@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jan 2010 10:55:19 -0500

Hi Tracy. A major reason why I want a brl display is for proofreading. So thank you for your input. The Alva looks like a very well made display, but then I have no other experience and don't know what's out there. M.A.

Tracy Carcione wrote:
I am using an Alva.  I really like it.  I've used one for several years
now.  It takes a bit to get hold of Tech Support, but, in my experience, I
almost never need Tech Support, so it's been OK.
Mine is an ABT340.  The only problem I've had with it is that, eventually,
the battery dies and I have to send it in to have the battery replaced. I'd be happy to not have a battery and just run off AC, but that is not an
option.
I've found a braille display tremendously useful in proofreading books.
Tracy

Hi everybody.  I'm just wondering which brail displays you are using?  I
have an Alva on loan right now which I really like, but I'm worried
about tech support for it and was not impressed with their web site.  I
also have not been able to contact the manufacturer.  It really is a
nice display though but I am uneasy about the manufacturer, tech
support, etc.  I'd also appreciate any feedback from those of you who
may be using the Alva.  The one on loan now happens to be a Sat 544.

Thanks again for the thoughts.

Mary Anne Lynskey