[bksvol-discuss] OT: Ph. D.'s and intellect

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2007 00:49:04 -0800 (PST)

That's assuming that intellect and the obtaining of a
Ph. D. necessarily go hand in hand. smile. You are
intelligent, and so is my husband, but as I have come
to know, via my husband, a UCLA professor, many, many
Ph. D's are not that intelligent, and as for being
intellectual--I'm not really sure what that means, but
if it means having an interest in and knowledge of
various areas of knowledge and having the ability to
think logically and be open to knowledge and new
things, while both you and my husband may be
intellectual, again, many of his colleagues are not,,
especially many in the science fields, whose knowledge
or interest outside their own fields is limited (my
college roommate's husband, a physicist who's a member
of the National Academy of Science and is a very nice
fellow, is a prime example of that).

And many people on this list who are not Ph. D.s I
would say are both intelligent and intellectual. smile

JMO

Cindy