[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Overly Helpful People

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2006 00:40:45 -0500

There are a few self defense moves which do not come across as "shoving him away". He would never notice anything except that somehow he was no longer connected to your arm or hand. I learned them in akaido.

I cannot describe them verbally enough for it to come across correctly. I will find out if descriptions exist in self-defense journals or something if I can.

E.
At 12:37 AM 12/5/2006, you wrote:
What you say is true.  Regrettably, we live in a dangerous world.   If I'd
been more uneasy, I might have shoved him away, which could be dangerous for
him in the middle of an intersection.

I also think you're right about more physical contact.  A new acquaintance,
when offering to guide me in a restaurant (a courtesy I will accept, because
the restaurants I tend to go to seem to have lots of cramped spaces and
such), slipped my hand in his to guide.  I pulled my hand back and took his
arm.  I wouldn't have minded flirting with him, but he's married, and so
even holding hands seems off limits to me.  Maybe that's an entirely
different subject, though.