[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Old-time typing papers

  • From: Misha <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 05:02:44 -0800

I'm not blind so I never turned in an illegible paper because I couldn't tell the ribbon wasn't working, but all this reminds me of when I first learned computer programming. Back then we used a machine like a typewriter that punched holes in cards about 6 inches by 2 inches long. It was also supposed to type the information at the top of the card as well as punching holes. But the school didn't like to pay for all the ribbons for the typed part and changing them in these machines was a difficult process anyway. So, all you could do was type along, and then send it off to the computer and it would print out your program and any errors it found. Then when the program didn't work you compared what you intended to type with what the computer printed, then found the card with the typo, re-punched it and tried again.

But there is more to the story. The year before, a graduate student had written a program that would evaluate our programs from the class and print out the next assignment based on what kind of errors we made. Well, without the printing at the top os the cards, I made so many typos that by about the fourth assignment. the evaluation program was trying to get me to type more carefully by putting letters that look similar into the names I was supposed to use for the mathematical symbold in the program. So, they would be things like s5l1o0. Now for someone listening to that or reading in braille, you won't know the problems it gave me.

Misha

siss52 wrote:
Hi Cindy

We typed on the same kind of typewriter you would use in those days. And no, there would not have been a "braille typewriter". I never heard of a Braille typewriter. <smile>

Sue S.
,