[bksvol-discuss] Re: O.T. New York Times Bestsellers

  • From: Carrie Karnos <ckarnos@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2005 06:47:59 -0800 (PST)

Starting last month, Bookshare is buying books on the New York Times
bestsellers list from amazon.com and having them shipped to the office on a
once-a-month basis.  The books come into the office where they are chopped,
scanned and OCRed.  I've been validating them and then submitting them for
Gustavo's approval, logging on as the New York Times instead of Carrie
(although I forgot and submitted about 4 or 5 books as me at the beginning -
oops!).  This is to help Gustavo and Pallavi keep track of how many books we're
getting based on the New York Times.  The September bestsellers are all already
up. I'm currently working on the October ones, which I listed in an email a few
days ago.

Anyway the New York Times is not directly involved.  The Bookshare staff is
just using their bestseller list to figure out which books to buy.

HTH, Carrie

siss52 <siss52@xxxxxxx> wrote:

How are we getting the books where the submitter is listed as New York
Times??/ Do they scan and validate them, or do they donate copies of the
books? It's great annd I am just curious.

Sue S.