[bksvol-discuss] OT: New Orleans and flooding

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 16:18:34 -0700 (PDT)

A friend sent me an article that appears in National
Geographic's September issue--whether it's only
online--Nationalgeographic.com--or in the iprint issue
I don't knwo. The title of the article is Louisiana
Wetlands, or something like that, and it starts with a
hypothetical what-if a hurricane that started as a two
and went to a 5 hit New Orleans. This was written at
least two to three months age, my journalist daughter
says, to have been published inthe Sept. 2005 issue.
It describes as a what-could happen which is exactly
what did happen, and tells how there were steps to be
taken but not enough money came from the government to
do everything. The main focus of the article is what's
happening to the bayous and marshes and wetlands of
Louisiana  (they're disappearing and sinking --or were
before the hurricane) and why and what steps need to
be taken to preserve them--and why they should be
preserved. I found it to be a very interesting
article, if long.

Cindy

P.S. My daughter's law firm is matching donations to
the Red Cross for relief. If anyone is interested,
write to me off-list and I'll give you the details.

Cindy

http://mail.yahoo.com