[bksvol-discuss] OT: Music Lovers/Opera Lovers

  • From: "Amy Goldring Tajalli" <agoldringtajalli@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 16:17:00 -0400

Hi to all Opera Lovers,

I know from the books Carrie is working on that there are many music lovers out
there so I thought I would bring you attention to what my PBS station did and
yours may be doing. Listed as "Great Performances at the Met", there was
listed Il Trittico which is a combination of 3 one-act operas by Puccini. Much
to my surprise, what came on was I Puritani, a 3 act melodrama by Bellini with
a fantastic mad scene and introductions and interviews with the Lead Soprano
and others.

Then, since it ended after 3 hours and was scheduled for 6, I discovered they
then showed Il Trittico. The plays are 2 dramas and a comedy in what is
considered "naturalism".  Two major operas, two different composers and styles
and excellent singers from the Met.

Since this kind of programming varies from station to station and times are
also varied they may be difficult to find but if you are an opera lover you
might want to check your PBS guides to see if these show up or call you local
PBS stations. Good luck and happy listening.

Amy
omsm