[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Milking Cows, goats - and horses

  • From: Lisa Friendly <lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:01:58 -0800

Probably time for me to step in as list moderator in a friendly manor. Posts
that are off-topic are fine on the bookshare-discuss list, and as a courtesy
should be preceded by OT (off topic). But on this list, which is supposed to
cover Bookshare Volunteer issues, and which I need the volunteers to stay
subscribed to at least until Jake and John get the Volunteer Newsletter  and
Bulletins going (very soon now), I need to remind everyone to please not use
it for other topics. Just write to the person offlist or send a note on the
same topic to bookshare-discuss.

I know it¹s a slippery slope and also that it is the holiday season but I
think the best way to stay relevant to the task is not to start down that
slope. I¹m no expert here but I know my goal and that¹s to support the
volunteers with useful information sharing through this list.

Many many thanks, Lisa

--
Lisa D. Friendly, Ph.D.
Director of Operations, Benetech

480 California Avenue, Suite 201
Palo Alto, California 94306 USA
Direct line: 650 644-3420
Fax: 650 475-1066

lisaf@xxxxxxxxxxxx
www.benetech.org <http://www.benetech.org/>

Benetech is a nonprofit organization

From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:10:18 -0600
To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] OT: Milking Cows, goats - and horses

Hi Dan,

I've taken care of cows (steers, actually, or open heifers), but I've only
milked a cow once.  That was enough to tell me that I didn't want to milk
them
regularly!  I've milked goats, though, too - and, believe it or not, horses.
We
used to take some of the mares who had foals by their side to events where
the
foal had to remain with a 'babysitter' while the mare worked.  If the mare
bagged up too much during the time she was away from her foal, we would milk
her
to relieve the pressure and make her comfortable again.

Goat milk really does make delicious stuff, doesn't it?  It's so rich.  I've
eaten goat cheeses, but have no idea how to make cheese.  I've never even
heard
of wiki wiki, but it sounds like something I could easily get fat eating!

Horse milk, by the way, is salty and thin.  I've never tried it, but many of
my
friends who breed horses have because one of the ways to tell how soon a
mare
will foal is by the taste and thickness and color of her milk.  It changes
dramatically in the twenty-four hours before she foals.  The breeders use
that
as one of the signs to help them get ready for a foal's impending birth.
smile.

Judy s.
cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx