[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Massachusetts

  • From: "Nancy Hill" <girlyscream@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:44:32 -0500

Grandma Cindy said,
"> Sounds delicious--except for the okra..."

Nancy says:  I will take the okra...fried, boiled or pickled.
Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm

Of course I was born in Atlanta and my Mom, my sister and I love it boiled and fried the most...Daddy only did it fried.

The fried okra...as soon as Mom got it out of the frying pan and put down on a plate covered by paper towels to drain, we'd come by and just get a few little slices and pop them into our mouths like it was popcorn...probably tasted that way because she rolled the slices in cornmeal before cooking them.

Then there was the boiled okra...smaller pods were for that...get water boiling, add a hint of salt, a hunk of butter and put the pods in and let them boil until they became soft and slimey , sort of almost splitting apart with the seeds about to come out of the pods. Then when they were on your plate, still warm from cooking, you could spear a pod with your fork and put it in your mouth...sort of suck it down and catch the little stem part in your teeth so you didn't have to eat those. My Dad, husband, bil and both nieces would see us enjoying the boiled okra and avert their eyes until we finished. lol. Now Mom can't cook any more and it's a fond memory...except for the part about eating the okra, which I

enjoyed boiled just yesterday...

Big slimey grin...